Anything can Happen Child, ANYTHING can be...

Saturday, February 22, 2014

PT baby Steps


At three months, and more apparent at 4 months, I began to notice the developmental differences between Nic and other 3-4 month old kids.  Nic cannot left up her head at all.  How could I expect her to with a head larger than mine?  Nic was not laughing responsively like some babies were, etc.  I downloaded multiple developmental checklists like this one,
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/pdf/checklists/checklists_4mo.pdf
and told myself to wait. I checkoff and date the items as she meets them.

I told myself not to get wrapped up in the details, but rather, I needed to focus on the progress.  AND Nic was making HUGE progress.  Then, as if the universe could feel the pain in my heart, hear the silent worry, it responded.   At 4 months, Nic turned into the incredible HULK.

On February 10, 2014 while holding up or supporting her trunk, Nicolette held up her head for 5 seconds.  This friday (2/21/14), Nicolette made strides in tracking colored objects, head turning (without her helmet, engaging her core muscles with head support, and holding her head in an upright position for 5-7 seconds.   My heart melted when Nic repeatedly held her head up with mild complaint for 3-5 seconds, approximately 5-7 times before telling us she was wiped out.  She is even tolerating baring weight on her feet!





As many of you now, the doctors at Children's Mercy really beat Nic's vision impairment into my head.  Nics optic nerve and occipital lobe were very underdeveloped as the inter cranial pressure was so great when it was time for them to form.  We were told she would be blind.  In the NICU, we could tell she reacted to light.  At 3 months, she began to stare at ceiling fans and started to track black and white toys.  Now she is tracking colored items!!!  There are many indicators that her vision is indeed impaired (e.i., needing to hold B/W objects very close to allow her to focus; Nic would stare at something, look away and then refocus again much like I see with children that have CVI; failure to return facial expressions).  However, yesterday Nic begin to responsively return smiles.  My heart melted.  I know Nic will accomplish her milestones at her pace on her own time.  I see her kicking, twisting, and crying at animal sounds that scare her (e.g., the lion on egg babies).  Everyday, I am filled with amazement at how far Nic is from the "unresponsive child" I was to bare. I feel so bless to know such a strong person.  I'd like to think she got some of that from me :)



Look at Nic finally "seeing" her punk rock princess rattle!



No comments:

Post a Comment